Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Green Bean Soup (Mennonite Family Recipe)

Here's the Green Bean Soup that I talked about in the One Hour Bread post. It's an old favorite family recipe that's been passed down through at least a few generations. If you know anything about Mennonites, you probably know they LOVE food. I hope to share a few of our favorite Mennonite family recipes in the future, keep an eye out.
So here it is...
Bean Soup
Ingredients:
  • Ham Bone ( I usually wait until I have a couple)
  • Summer Savory 2 Tbsp (I use a small bundle of fresh/frozen from the garden)
  • Parsley Root -2 peices-not to be confused with regular parsley (I often don't have this on hand and the soup turns out fine, sometimes I'll add a tsp of regular parsley)
  • 1 large Onion
  • 2 large cans of grean beans including juice (my recipe calls for "Omie's beans", which are my grandmothers home canned beans. Nothing beats home canned beans, but I had to use regular canned beans this time, and it still turned out good)
  • 5+ Potatoes (Peeled and cut into bite sized chunks)
  • Whipping Cream 1/2 cup
Directions:
  1. Place bone in large saucepan and empty in bean juice (not beans). Almost cover bone with water, add summer savory, onion, and parsley root and put on to boil for a minimum of 2 hours.
  2. After at least 2 hours take out bone and put in potatoes and cook for 1/2 hour.
  3. Add beans and whipping cream and bring to a boil.

Ta Da! The soup is ready. We like to add a bit more whipping cream to our own soup bowls and a little salt.

Best with homemade bread for dipping. ;)

Linking up Here:

Raising Homemakers

Our Simple Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment