Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Only by God's Grace



We have received a new start...again. It amazes me how many new starts God gives us.


Monday was hubby's first day back to work after five long months (Praise God), baby is due in 1 week, everything seems to be trying to fall into place, yet at the same time it feels as though things are being ripped apart. Just when you get used to one way of doing things upside down goes the world again.

Finally finances are going to become enough for rent bills and food again, but now the van isn't working...again, and we're going to have to find some way to get a new one (time to start praying again).

I'm at a point where this amuses me more than anything. What else can you do but laugh at it. Just when you think your going to be a step ahead, just when you think you can do that much better for your family, you find yourself stuck right where you always were. I feel God telling me to stop. Telling me not to get caught up in that thinking, it is Him that can do so much better for our family, and only He knows what that better is. If moving forward in life makes you fall back from God is it really moving forward at all?
Hubby is sure things are going to change for us and soon. He felt God speaking this to him last night. We're praying and believing this is truth and not some half awake longing. It's been 4 years of being stuck, being in the same place, striving for better, working for better, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel only to find ourselves right back at the beginning.

After he left for work this morning I opened the bible to find this:


Joel 2 18-19 and 21-27


18 Then the LORD was jealous for his land
and took pity on his people.
19 The LORD replied to them:


“I am sending you grain, new wine and olive oil,
enough to satisfy you fully;
never again will I make you
an object of scorn to the nations.

21 Do not be afraid, land of Judah;
be glad and rejoice.
Surely the LORD has done great things!
22 Do not be afraid, you wild animals,
for the pastures in the wilderness are becoming green.
The trees are bearing their fruit;
the fig tree and the vine yield their riches.
23 Be glad, people of Zion,
rejoice in the LORD your God,
for he has given you the autumn rains
because he is faithful.
He sends you abundant showers,
both autumn and spring rains, as before.
24 The threshing floors will be filled with grain;
the vats will overflow with new wine and oil.

25 “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten—
the great locust and the young locust,
the other locusts and the locust swarm
my great army that I sent among you.
26 You will have plenty to eat, until you are full,
and you will praise the name of the LORD your God,
who has worked wonders for you;
never again will my people be shamed.
27 Then you will know that I am in Israel,
that I am the LORD your God,
and that there is no other;
never again will my people be shamed.


I've been pondering grace for months. I wanted to say I understood it, but I never really understood, and though I've been trying I couldn't fully grasp it, I don't know that we can ever fully understand. How blessed are we to be God's children, how unbelievable how joyful how wondrous it is to have a God who forgives us, who loves us, and who saves us. Not by our actions, not because we deserve it, but by His grace. If ever we become "unstuck" it will not be by our actions, only by His grace!



Joel 2:13
13 Rend your heart
and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
and he relents from sending calamity.


5 comments:

  1. His plan are perfect, even when we don't understand them!!! Praying for a new van and a safe delivery ! How are you feeling????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little worn out this pregnancy, but that's about it. I'm very ready for the pregnancy part to end and the baby part to begin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that all is moving forward. I'm rejoicing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same reading from Joel yesterday - I guess the LORD is speaking to us both! Thank you for your wonderful post and sharing those verses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this beautiful post. And the words from Joel especially touched my heart this evening.

    I love your blog's name.

    God's peace,
    Shyla
    http://nourishingstrength.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete