Sunday, February 6, 2011

Homeschool Re evaluated...my plan or Gods?


Proverbs 22:6

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it
I had a profound realization the other day. It was that homeschool was not going according to plan. (Oh yes, here we go with plans...again). Guess what...are you ready? It's was going according to my plans and our DL school plans for the most part, but it was not going according to God's plan. Are you shocked? My plan, not His...haven't we discussed this before?

In all my efforts of taking Lee Lee out of public school so we could train her in the ways God wanted us to, instead of being influenced in the ways society wants her to be taught. We ended up almost full circle, forgetting God's plans, and following books and curriculum that were telling math and correct spelling were the way to go. What lesson were we forgetting?....that God is the way to go. To always be directed towards God, always directed towards His plan, and not our own. I think I'll have to relearn this lesson a lot over the next while.
I threw out the lesson plan for the day, and thought hard on what He had talked to me about so much before our decision to pull her from public school. Instead of worksheets, spelling tests, and completing the next pages in the curriculum. We read a devotion together to start the day. We baked bread from scratch, so we would be able to feed our family (and prayed very hard that our little changes to the recipe would work out). We made cinnamon buns as a treat for daddy who has been doing so much to take care of this family lately. We started reading 'Beautiful Girlhood' in hopes that our bond might grow stronger and we can learn something about ourselves and each other. Then, we finished off by having some play time with the little kids.
Do I feel like we wasted away a day of homeschooling? Of course not, I think it was one of our most significant days yet. She learned to take care of her responsibilities to her family, and provide good nourishment for them (while discussing fractions and converting measurements). She learned the importance that should be put on serving her future husband (something I very often need a reminder of) by seeing mommy put extra care and love into something that could easily have been put off until later, but that we made sure was at the top of our list. Even if nothing came from our reading together the most important part of it for me, was that we just sat together, and spent time together. Last but not least, she learned to make sure to enjoy the wonderful things in life God has blessed us with, and to make sure no one gets forgotten in the hustle and bustle of a busy day as a homemaker. The day did not go perfect, we still have a long way to go to make the ship run more smoothly, but that's something else we can learn together! ;)

Was this day of lessons really for her or for me? I wonder. Either way, I see a lot more HOME schooling days and little less home SCHOOLING days in our future.
How often have you homeschoolers re evaluated "your" homeschool plans? I'd love to know what the most significant homeschool day you've had has entailed.




La La, their cousin who I babysit, and my precious Lee Lee




So excited to sift flour! Who would have thought?




Little La La, refused to let mommy do all the hard work of rolling out the dough.She spent the next 3 days making play dough cinnamon rolls...she's actually been getting quite good.



Psalm 128:2

You will eat the fruit of your labor; blessings and prosperity will be yours.

Linking up at Raising Homemakers for the Homemaking Linkup!

5 comments:

  1. Been there done that! Except it took me 12 years into homeschooling to really "get it". It's about "home", not "school". Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. My husband and I have been struggling with the idea of pulling our 2 school-age children out of public school next year. We are not sure if we are going to homeschool or send them to a surprisingly affordable Christian school in our area. This was encouraging and a great reminder that we need to follow God's will, not our own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would pass out if he came home to those rolls! But he is dieting so I won't make them anytime soon. I too get stressed about math and such but then I remember that it doesn't really matter if my son knows wether or not a shape in a slide or not LOL! My other son struggles with math alot. I just have to remind myself that one of the reasons we homeschool is so that we can move at their pace. I hope you have many more HOME school days ahead! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post! I've had the same issue and am glad to see someone else having the same feelings :-)

    ReplyDelete