Thursday, January 20, 2011

Health and Diet: My plan or Gods?



I know what God wants more than anything is for us to be spiritually healthy, but today I want to discuss (or question) our physical health as Christians.

Our family seems to be learning some lessons on health. Actually, let me rephrase. I believe our family should be learning some lessons on health.

We have been dealing with sickness, sleep deprivation, bad food choices (though a lot of times, financially the only food choices) aches, pains, bruises and bumps, even very sick and injured parents and siblings.

I don't think this is what God wants for us. What father wants His children to be unwell? We are God's children. He wants the best for us. He wants us to consume the most nutritious foods for our bodies, He wants us to take in food that will not cause disease or pollute our bodies with man made chemicals. He made our bodies a certain way, to thrive on certain things, and I think so many of us are getting it wrong.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20


I've been feeling this way for years, but finances and feelings just don't seem to be coinciding enough to really get to where I'm feeling we should be. Is it really me just feeling this? I'm I right in these assumptions that God wants better food and better health for us? Could we do it financially if we learned to live on less quantity and more quality?

We have been growing our own veggies the past couple years, but last year our landlords got us a new stove which made it impossible for me to can.

We had chickens to produce our own farm fresh eggs, but a few months back a martin got them all one night.
We're slipping back to the "consumer" lifestyle of eating we were once in, and have worked so hard to get out of.
Isn't this something God wants for us? Am I wrong in wanting our family to have healthy nutritious food, why are all our efforts being wasted?

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Is this where I've gone wrong? Have I been doing this for my glory? For my families glory? I know I haven't been able to do it through my own will. Maybe by praying that this will glorify God somehow, then all this will change. He knows I want better for this family, and I believe that He does too.
I'm going to be praying hard on this one, that He guides me to make the right choices, and that I don't make choices simply out of guilt or what society is deeming to be healthy eating. I don't want to follow societies views on health, I want to follow God's.


My goals for this year (health wise) were:

*To make the most of the wealth that God has provided in the land. Finding ways to use plants, herbs, and weeds He has provided in abundance (don't you often question why He created so much of certain things, and if we're actually using them to their full potential)?
For example: did you know that roasted dandelion roots make an amazing coffee substitute? The rest of the dandelion has uses too. Yet we usually curse them, pull them out of the lawn of garden and throw them away. I haven't tried this drink yet, but I plan to.
I'm pretty sure this is one God wants me to pursue as He is not closing doors on this, and actually seems to be opening up many doors for me to learn more about it.

* To switch to as much organic food as possible. This is where financially we haven't been able to follow through. Apparently, regular food is much more expensive than regular food plus loads of chemicals...go figure. Right now with our work situation I'm just happy to be getting any food on our table. I hoped at the very least to find a way to afford our staples organically. Such as flour, milk, butter, cornmeal, etc...
Is this something God wants for us? This one I need to pray on more.

* Home baking from scratch. This is one I haven't had any resistance on, it's helped financially, and I plan to continue it for as long as God allows. Currently, being pregnant I've been doing less of it, but I know that things will get back to normal soon.

* Growing our own vegetables, producing our own eggs, and maybe, hopefully, one day...a goat or cow for milk and other dairy delights.
Again, one I'll have to pray on. Don't see what's wrong with any of this, but not understanding the resistance.


* What we can't produce ourselves, try to buy locally.

* Canning and storing our food. I need help here God. No idea how I'm supposed to do this without a stove, is this something you want for us?

These were "my" goals and plans for a healthy year. I'm curious to see what God's plans are for us regarding health and diet.


Linking to Raising Homemakers: Homemaking Linkup

4 comments:

  1. I just found your blog. I have to tell you that we are a one income homeschooling family of 5 and we have always struggled financially. We always felt like it was to expensive to eat right but we have made it a priority this month. And let me tell you.. we are making it. We do it by shopping at ALDI and we shop at Price Chopper for whatever ALDI doesn't carry. We are eating so much better. We eat "clean" as it is called. We ended up giving away our chickens b/c it wasn't working for us in the suburbs. But our plan is to move to the country in 2 years and really try to be self sufficient when it comes to food. It is possible I promise. I do believe this is the way God intended for us to eat. He gave us everything we need to survive. I hope you try it! Keep us posted. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good post! Yes, looks like God is working in many of our lives. Thanks for linking up over at oursimplecountrylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :) I was just following you back on twitter and thought i'd pop over and check out your blog and I have really enjoyed reading here tonight. I'm looking forward to popping over again :)
    Rosina aka @Rosy_Posy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you on ALL of these things! Hubby and I haven't been blessed with any kiddos yet, though we have been leaving it in God's hands. A year since we made that decision, and still nothing yet. I guess I'm trying to say that I understand where you are coming from when you say that you feel resistance in doing the things you feel strongly about. Every time we think we make progress in one way, we end up having to take 5 steps back shortly thereafter. Have to wonder if God is trying to tell us something too :-) Praying on it, and will add you to my prayers, that we both may see what God has in store for us!

    I just found your blog and absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete