Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Perfect Weekly Plan!

What's this? Am I actually getting organized? The woman who loves to organize, but never stays organized, is she really truly following through on a plan and staying organized???? I may have found a system that actually works for me! Let's pray this sticks, and my poor tired pregnant body lets me keep it up.
I have a household notebook or whatever you call it...it doesn't seem to work to well for me. I would get stuff organized in it, close it up for the night and forget about it, or put it somewhere and lose it. I still have it, and it holds a lot of useful information that I need, but this is what seems to work best for me.
What started this whole shift? A strict computer limit for my husband and I! We each get 1 1/2 hours a week, and must fit our time into that. I didn't realize how long I was on until I had to start rationing it. If you're finding it hard to get stuff done, set yourself a weekly computer limit and see how it changes!
I've taped the things that I need daily right in the middle of my fridge! No it's not the prettiest, but it's functional. I can't put it down and forget about it, and the fact that everyone can see it keeps me accountable.




First is my weekly menu plan. I've made them so many times, and I've NEVER stuck to one. We're sticking to this one! I printed a menu plan, stuck it in a plastic cover and taped that to my fridge, then I use a dry erase marker to fill it in each week. When the week is over, wipe it clean and start again. See, I'm being green by saving paper too!

Here is my work in progress. I have yet to find the perfect weekly system for my daily to do's. This will be rearranged now and then until I find the right fit I'm sure. I've left the top of the plastic sheet open, so I can pull the paper out to make changes. There are blank spaces to add other to do's each day with the dry erase pen, and I can check them off as I go.

As it stands I think I've got Mondays as Bread and Baking Tuesdays is Bathrooms and Floors Wednesdays are already switched a bit as we had swimming and I didn't have the time to get everything done. But basically walls and cupboards, fridge cleaning, errands, homeschool and meal planning and a BIG laundry day (we do laundry every day but still need a BIG day for the extra) are all on there somewhere. Hoping this finds a good rhythm soon.

Pretty simple and self explanatory. I always need somewhere to quickly jot down things I need to buy as I run out, or I ALWAYS forget!

Well, that's what seems to be working! Amazing how it took something so simple to allow me to do so much!

What works for you??

Linking Up with the Homemaking Link Up over at Raising Homemakers and the Domestically Divine linkup at Far Above Rubies

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't live with out my menu list. It just makes cooking each night so much easier and shopping too. I have mine just like u, dry erased on the fridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our menu as well! The kids love to go to the frig and look and see what's left for meals for the week and try to talk me into their favorite!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know where you found these forms. I need to do this as well. We have a baby due in mid February and this would help give me direction. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a couple of these forms for ages, but I'll try to figure out which sites I got them from. If you look up "weekly menu plan" "Blank Shopping List" and "Weekly to do list" You might find some forms that work even better for you. It's best to personalize them to exactly what's going to work best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Jessica. Thanks for linking up with us today.

    Many blessings,

    jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to keep my menu plan on the fridge, too... it's so helpful!

    Jaime @ Like a Bubbling Brook

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like me-->"The woman who loves to organize, but never stays organized, is she really truly following through on a plan and staying organized????"

    My shopping list just goes on a magnetic notepad on the fridge, then before my shopping trip I organize it all on a notebook (used to be the computer, until we couldn't afford the ink anymore) where I also write down price matches from other stores.

    I used to write our menus down on printed out menu plans (until, the whole couldn't afford the ink thing). I love the idea of the dry-erase menu plan!

    As far as weeklies, dailies, I haven't found one I really love & will stick with yet....constantly changing that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I have something very similar, but stuck on the inside of my cupboard door. I need lists, and schedules so much (even though the schedule is not adhered to with any consistency, it still helps me keep *some* order!) x

    ReplyDelete