Sunday, November 28, 2010

Lessons from the farm..."The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away"

A verse we hear almost daily. The first one my daughter memorized this year, and one He brings us back to so often it seems.

Job 1:21
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, And naked I shall return there. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD."



Saturday morning hubby went out bright and early to give our chickens some water, sadly, he soon discovered we no longer had chickies to tend to.

All 12 of our wonderful egg laying little chickies had passed away. We had no idea what had happened to them, but I felt strongly whatever it was, it was God's plan and somehow a blessing. Hubby and oldest each had a little cry about it. They had invested so much time and love into those little girls, to them, they were family.

It was a wake up call to husband and I. How quickly something can be taken from you, how often we take what we have for granted. How we need to make the most of what we're given, how important it is for us to do our best to take care of what we have now, how important it is to be good stewards.

We found out today that it was a martin (a weasel type thing). It was back at the scene of the crime today when hubby went out there with my cousin. One little animal, one act of God. Oh how quickly things can change.

No more farm eggs, but no more cost of feed and bedding in a time when we really can't afford it. No more chicken chores, but no more chats with our feathery friends.
Still, we must praise God in all circumstances, just as Job did in his. God loves us, and is there for us, and has plans for us beyond anything we can comprehend at this time.

Goodbye my little chickie dears, you will be missed.



The Lord gave you to us, and the Lord has taken you away blessed be the name of the LORD!

Linking up over at Raising Homemakers

5 comments:

  1. sorry about you lost :-( we love our chicken too, are you getting some more later?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we'll be getting more next spring I think. Hopefully the kind that we wanted originally. We were pretty impatient and just rushed into getting these ones. They were amazing little birdies though, and so gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were attached to our first batch of chickens, naming them and REALLY caring for them. But the longer we had chickens, and the more they escaped their pen, leaving their (ahem!) evidence everywhere, the less desirable the whole chicken experience became. We too "rushed in" and have decided to wait till we are more prepared (new chicken pen). I DO miss those eggs though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popped over to visit. You have a sweet blog and I'm so sorry about your chickens! We have 19 and currently just added 4 new babies to the mix. Life is always interesting with animals. :)

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad :-( Darn varmits! It sounds like your family really loved your chickens. I can completely understand that, as I love my chickens, as well!

    We live in the city limits where we can't have chickens in our size of yard, but I love them so. I have house chickens! Seramas are the world's smallest chickens. They live in a rabbit cage in our family room and they are part of the family (well, pet family). They are the sweetest things! You can read about them on my blog, if you like.

    I found your blog by way of Raising Homemakers and am enjoying reading!

    Amy
    www.crazyforthecountry.com

    ReplyDelete