Friday, October 29, 2010

Reality Check (Part 1)...There are Only TWO paths!


Matthew 7:13-14
13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.



What path are you on? Which gate will you enter? If you are a Christian, I'm sure you'll say the one that leads to heaven, the narrow path, the one less travelled. If we we're all on that path, why is it less travelled, and why does it say only a few find it?

Here's a tough reality check (for me anyway, maybe not for all of you). There are only two paths, there are only two masters. Did you hear that, only two!

Throughout your day, every decision you make every action you take is going to fall on one of those paths, and going to be serving one of those masters, every single one.



Who are those masters? God, and the devil, that's it. If you think you're serving yourself, or your own interests and those interests don't go along with what God wants, whose path do you think that falls on. Remember, there are only two, there is no third path for when you just want to do something for yourself.

So if you wake up in the morning, and don't want to get out of bed, and hit the snooze button. That's choosing a path. If you get a little cranky with your kids, because you haven't had you're coffee yet, you've just chosen which master you will be serving in that moment. Every single action, every single decision. How many times a day do you go back and forth on those paths, back and forth between masters? Of course in our hearts we believe we are only serving God, and only following Jesus. What about in our actions? How often are those actions on the narrow road, and how often are they on the broad one?

How can we possibly make the right decision all the time. We're going to fall short, some days a lot. I think that is why so few find the road. Or, maybe, it's because we've become complacent as Christians and in the church, and feel we're doing enough, when God is really asking more of us, and we're just not listening...but that's a whole other post ;)

So how do we know if we're on the right road?

Try these:

Are you reading your Bible?
Psalm 119:105
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.



Are you praying to God, asking Him what He wants you to do?
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.



Are you following what He's asked of you, even if it seems crazy to the rest of society, or you don't want to?
Think Jonah and the whale.


Are you following what Jesus would do?
Philippians 2:5-7
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.


I personally, have a long way to go with this. I think if I were to separate my days onto those paths, there would be way too many falling on the broad one, and that is not who I want to be serving.

I'm praying today, that God will make me conscious of my actions, and direct me each moment, each breath to the right path.

So, what path are you on?





Read Part 2 Here: Are you Complacent or Are you Extreme


This post is part of the linkup over at Raising Homemakers

and here:

A-Wise-Woman-Builds-Her-Home

6 comments:

  1. Great post! This is my first visit here. You have a great blog. I am going to add to the ones I follow.

    Blesings
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! This is such a powerful principle when our children understand it. It is a glorious day when the "light" goes on and they actually learn to accept responsibility for the consequences of their choices instead of making excuses or laying blame. Now, if only I could learn this . . . :)

    First time visitor. Very cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, true. Let us weigh carefully each decision we make. Very good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an enlightening post! Thank you, I am going to share this with my friends and family your post is both inspiring and encouraging!

    Jen White
    Jennifer@whiteonline.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. very convicting...thank you! I think we all need a reminder that there is no "sort-of" or "halfway" or "lukewarm" with Christ. It's all or nothing, and I want to give Him my ALL!

    ReplyDelete