Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Are you willing to be hated?"

I'm going to share this post on the Raising Homemakers link up today. I thought about this for a while, because it's not exactly about homemaking, but I think we need to remember that our children's little eyes are ever watching our every move. I also believe that we should be instilling in our kids that not everyone is going to accept them or believe in their beliefs like mommy and daddy do. Prepare them now to face ridicule and persecution, because as sad as it is, if they're going to live for God, at some point that's probably going to happen. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So many things I could talk about today, but so unsure of what it is I'm supposed to say.
Gianna Jessen's words have been ringing through my head and my heart so much lately... "Are you willing to be hated? Or is it all about you?"

As Christians, how are we living? Are we living to please God, or to please man? Do we care if we are hated by our fellow man? Would we be willing to be hated to show the world our love and faith in God, and that we are going to follow Jesus, no matter the trials we face on this earth. Or, would we simply cower away from our beliefs when faced with someone who might say something against us if they knew we were Christians, or thought that we didn't believe the same things they did. Are we ashamed of our God and all He asks us to do?

Let me ask you this (as if I'm not asking enough questions already)...if God asked you to, would you walk up to a stranger and proclaim your love for God, and your faith in all He asks you to do? Would you do it if you knew the stranger disagreed with your beliefs, would you do it if it was a friend or family member who you knew disagreed? Would you risk what might happen if you did? Are you willing to be hated by anyone?

I'm concerned that as Christians we are losing track of what our purpose is, and we are becoming scared, we are scared of being seen as strange/radical, we are scared of being ridiculed, we are afraid of not fitting in. Even among our fellow Christians we are feeling the need to follow and fit in with what they/and society deems normal.

Jesus was a radical, and guess what, He was not loved by all. He faced ridicule, but He opened eyes by the way He lived, and even those who hated Him, would not forget Him because of His beliefs and His courage to stand up for them regardless of who it offended.

I heard a Pastor speak on persecution one Sunday. He was trying to understand why we as Churches in North America were not being persecuted, and that as Christians we should be being persecuted (something else to think about).
I think it's because we as a Church are cowering away from anything God asks us to do that might make us look too radical to others, or make us a little uncomfortable stepping out of our box.

Can we call ourselves Christians, or followers of Christ if we are only willing to follow Him to the points that we are comfortable following.

Are we willing to be hated? Or is it all about us?

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours."
John 15:18-20

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:10-12

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Jessica,
    That's a good question, and I wouldn't have been able to answer it, except that the Lord provided an opportunity for me to be in a situation where it was scary to proclaim my faith. Long story... we went to China to pick up our first adopted daughter and met a stranger. He started talking about Buddism... I told him about Christianity! I was scared, thinking he might be a member of the Communist party checking up on us to see if we were evangelizing in Beijing. The Lord led and gave me the words to speak! We can rest on Him and not on our own strength and ability. Isn't that nice?

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful Mary. I know there are many couragous Christians like you out there willing to share their faith, but I wonder how many don't. I was recently in a situation myself where I was persecuted for my faith in God and what He was doing in my life (by my Christian family). I stood up for my beliefs, but I'm still a little shaken by the experience. It did make me question though if I would be willing to share my beliefs with just anyone, regardless of how I thought I might be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is funny and wonderful though how God steps in and gives you the words and strength in those situations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great food for thought! My mind has been reeling since I saw Ms. Jessen's video as well. I'd like to think I would be bold and share my faith even when I was in danger because of it, I think it would only be Christ's strength IN me that would be able to.

    You know the bible promises us we will be hated for our faith whether we welcome it or not. Gianna's video was so inspirational to me, to see a woman EMBRACING the hatred of what she represents and USING it to further God's kingdom...what a woman!!

    I've enjoyed perusing your blog and look forward to further posts!!

    Visiting from the HHH!

    Danielle,
    organizationalhysteria.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Wonderful wording!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post. i am willing everyday to stand firm before all regarding my faith...I know i will be hated..but it does not matter to me... I know I am loved... I only care what God thinks of me not what man thinks of me.... Thank you for this post...Blessings..

    Another great passage I read this morning was in Romans...God's Everlasting Love Romans Ch 8:31-39

    Mica/ The Child's paper

    ReplyDelete