Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Love One Another

Image by: lotuslightweddings

In my nesting glory days I spent numerous hours moving, rearranging, cleaning and reorganizing. During this time, I found a long forgotten little chalkboard that I decided to hang by our main entrance. Something visual to leave little messages, notes and reminders to each other. On it I wrote "Love one another." I don't know why, I just did. There it has sat for a number of weeks now, staring us in the face every time we leave the house. (Ah yes, thank you Lord for that sudden burst of knowing). A reminder as we left our house and went out into the world, to "Love one another"

Since I wrote this message on the board, I have been stumbling across numerous bible verses and messages about loving one another. I knew it was pertaining to me and my life, I knew I needed to pay attention, I wasn't quite sure how exactly it fit in.
My husband and I had a long discussion about love the other day. We came to the understanding that we all have been blessed with the gift of love in one form or another, some special way that God can use each of our love to affect others for his purpose.

My husband has a child's heart, completely open and accepting, no limitations, and as big as they come. Always wanting to please and do more for the people around him. His heart is out there for all to see, and because of that it's easily hurt, but it doesn't stop him from putting it out there again, and continuing to love.

Our youngests heart is full of humor. You cannot look at this child and not laugh. She brings joy and laughter into the house on even the darkest days.

My oldests heart is childlike as well, yet has a maturity and understanding to it that even I have yet to comprehend. She has a need to mend everyone elses broken hearts (regardless of how hers is hurting), and God always gives her the right things to say to help do that. Her heart is a constant light in dark times, that draws you to it and calms you. She has a very special heart indeed.

I'm not exactly sure about my own. It's been through the ringer a few times, and I think I've let those things cloud it a little too much. My husband says my heart is soft and has a warmth. I'd like to think I have a heart of understanding. No not like that. I don't understand anything, really. But I have a desire to be understood, and I have a desire to understand others and everything around me. I think God is going to use that part of me to help others understand Him, and if not I know He will use me for His purpose somehow.

That's the point of this little blurb today. God has given us all amazing powers of love, but if we only use our love on ourselves or only use it within our homes or our Church we are not fully using it for His purpose. Pray that He will reveal to you how He wants to use your love, and remember when you step out your door to use it.

So now I will look at my little "Love one another" reminder in a whole new light. I will take it outside myself, outside my home, and into the world.


Related Verses:

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
John 13:34-35


“If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.
Luke 6:27-35


Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.
By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
1 John 4:7-21

Homework: Love One Another!!

No comments:

Post a Comment