Monday, September 14, 2009

Don't be selfish with God!

Don't be selfish! Okay, so I'm sure we all know that one, I'm sure a lot of us struggle with it, but I'm not talking about it in the regular sense of the word. I mean, don't be selfish with God. Slightly more confusing?

I've talked so much about focusing on God, taking time with God, working on your relationship with God. So SUPER important, but what is also important, and what we sometimes don't think about is allowing the people around us to focus on God and have time for their relationship with God. Believe it or not, and this may be a hard one for some of you....it's not all about us!! Ouch! That one hurts me sometimes. ;)


We get so excited and so caught up in learning about, and hearing from, and being close to God, that we forget there are people right beside us who need that too. For many this is not a problem. They live alone, or have equal time to spend alone with God as their partner or other members of their family. Right now, our family is a busy one. With a 7 year old and a 2 year old and a dog all constantly looking for my husband and my attention it's hard enough for one of us to step away, never mind both.


We both love having a relationship with God, but I don't think either of us really think about making time for each other to invest in that relationship. We give each other time to go out with a friend to the movie, or to get some work done around the house. We give each other time to be alone on the computer (whoo hoo, like that's a necessity). We are not consciously making an effort to help each other succeed in our relationships with God, and we rarely use the time we are given to do that.


We went to Church on Sunday. I was very excited, I couldn't wait to see what God had to share with us that day, and we were going to enjoy breakfast and fellowship beforehand with our new Church family! Getting to know some new people, fun times. I expected my husband to take on most of the burden of chasing and holding the feisty 2 year old, as he knows I barely have the energy to walk at this late stage of pregnancy, never mind to run non stop after a VERY active little one! This was not the case. For some reason my husband became oblivious to the fact that I needed help with the wee one, and laughed and chatted away while I got stuck waddling as fast as I could after a 2 year old trying to tear the place apart. This couldn't last long, and I ended up in a playroom, by myself for an hour, just so I would be able to breathe. No fellowship, no fun. This was not what God wanted for me today!


Believe it or not, sometimes God is going to focus on someone else, in this case that someone was my husband. My husband not dealing with our little one left him free to socialize with some men that he normally wouldn't have had the time to talk to, and by talking with them had some wonderful spiritual realizations that filled his heart and soul and brought him even closer in his relationship with God. He needed that moment, he needed that time, and I didn't want to give it to him, because I thought he needed to help me have my time with God. In actuality, if I hadn't wasted my time in that playroom pouting about not getting my time, I would have had a whole hour to pray in a relatively quiet setting.


Do you see what I'm getting at? We all need time with God. In a family time is tighter, but we help each other invest in time with children, in time for personal activities in time for work. We share the TV time (sometimes) and help each other with the chores. Why are we not helping each other invest in God? Yes we should focus on our own growth with God, but we also need to help each other in our growth, and sometimes that means taking on stresses and work for a little bit, and allowing someone else time to grow and breathe. It's wonderful to see blessings in your life, it's even more wonderful to get to be a part of someone elses blessing!

Homework: Give someone time to invest in their relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment